• 2016 Preservation Award, Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association
Tellefsen Hall, a much-loved north Berkeley landmark and home to the University’s marching band, needed a facelift. Vinyl replacement windows were failing, the main entry doors had seen better days, eaves and gutters needed repairs, while the stucco had faded to an obscure shade of rose.
Originally a renowned clinker-brick residence from 1898, the building was substantially altered with a third story when UC purchased the building as a dormitory for its band members. During a seismic upgrade in 2000, vinyl windows were installed to save money. By 2015, 90% of the windows were inoperable. High-quality casement windows were selected to replace the vinyls and thus began the facade improvements for this structure of merit.
In addition to selecting divided lite windows that resembled original windows, a custom Mahogany front door– with matching sidelights – was designed to recapture the elegance of the once imposing residence. The finishing touch was a warm, traditional color scheme that highlights the remaining original brick work.