• 2010 Partners in Preservation Award, Oakland Heritage Alliance
Partnering with Preservation
After 99 years, a 1911 landmark residence in the historic Bellevue neighborhood needed a major facelift. Part of that larger project, this completely new kitchen was designed to match the character of the neo-Jacobean home.
The kitchen remodel included reorienting the dark, cramped kitchen towards the backyard which an existing laundry room occupied. Lots of windows were added, custom built with transoms above, to match original windows in the Dining Room. Custom cabinets were milled to replicate original cabinets in the Butler’s Pantry and soapstone was selected for durable countertops. An island with a prep sink, next to the existing stairs, maximizes efficiency. Antique tiles were incorporated into the large hood while traditional pendant lights were selected for the tall room. A large new pantry was added next to the historic dumb waiter which now serves as a spice shelf. The appliance bank next to the stove will, hopefully, organize all the gadgets. With traditional finishes and classic features, this sunny, spacious kitchen is ready for the next 100 years.