• 2010 Partners In Preservation Award, Oakland Heritage Alliance
Partnering with Preservation
After 99 years, a 1911 landmark residence in the historic Bellevue neighborhood needed a major facelift. This included exterior & drainage repairs, new shingles, and a legal back porch. It also needed a completely new kitchen and bathroom downstairs while two bathrooms upstairs needed to be modernized.
The remodel included reorienting the dark, cramped kitchen towards the backyard which an existing laundry room occupied. Lots of tall windows were added, custom built to match the historic windows in the Dining Room. Custom cabinets were milled to match original cabinets in the Butler’s Pantry and soapstone was selected for durable countertops.
Antique tiles were incorporated into the large hood and traditional light fixtures were selected for the spacious room. Upstairs, the bathrooms were reconfigured and designed to harmonize with the neo-Jacobean house, with traditional marble finishes and classic plumbing fixtures. The historic home, eligible for the California Register of Historic Places, has been completely refurbished and is ready for the next 100 years.